At Fluor, we are proud to design and build projects and careers. This requires teams that are as unique as the projects we execute. We are committed to fostering a work environment that embraces Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) for all so our employees and stakeholders benefit from the creative solutions derived as a result of embracing differences.
The purpose of this position is to manage the Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) function to create and sustain a productive work culture and safe work environment in order to avoid and minimize HSE related problems. These problems include but are not limited to prevention of human injury, environmental degradation and unsafe working conditions/practices. This is done through health, safety and environmental training, programs, and processes with a visible and uncompromised commitment to the protection of the environment as well as the productivity of the Company’s employees. This position provides process safety support to onshore and offshore engineering projects. The range of industries covers oil and gas (upstream, midstream and downstream), petrochemicals, renewables, and green energy.
• Manage lower level professionals on HSE activities on large-scale Total Installed Cost (TIC) projects; duties may include the calculation and control of HSE budgets, staffing requirements and schedules; preparation of certification/classification programs and the preparation of the supporting HSE documents; design or direct studies to obtain technical environmental information about planned projects, coordination and execution of Safety Cases (SC) and support studies; Quantitative Risk Assessments (QRA); Process Hazard Analyses (PHA); Fire Protection Specifications (FPS) and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) as required by certification or regulatory entities
• Manage, train and supervise HSE employees, inspectors, nurses, medics, and other employees working in the HSE department on a project through an expert knowledge of the Company’s HSE standards, programs and goals
• Provide guidance, assistance and advice to business lines, project management, and Company organizations through interpretation of Company HSE practices and procedures in relation to client requirements and current legislation and regulations
• Make decisions on engineering/scientific problems and methods relating to HSE using advanced techniques, modifications and extensions of theories, precepts and practices of the particular field, related sciences and disciplines
• Provide input for HSE permit preparation on projects by maintaining expert knowledge of current guidelines and regulations
• Adhere to and support Fluor's Health, Safety & Environmental and Sustainability Policies
• Lead a team of HSE Design and Fire Protection professionals in the execution and delivery of project related HSE scope and deliverables. (21)
• Establish and maintain man-hour estimate budgets, manage to the project baseline, staffing manpower, schedule updates, progress updates and overall project reporting of HSE activities. (21)
• Contribute to the development of client proposals and project cost estimates for HSE Engineering scope. (B)
• Review process safety compliance and industrial process safety-related consensus standards (OSHA, HSE, NFPA, ANSI, FM Global, API, ASME, ATEX, AIChE, CCPS, etc.) for applicability of requirements to project scope.
• Review application of process safety related consensus standards for correct interpretations. (21)
• Apply experience and engineering judgment in recognizing, assessing, and mitigating hazards.
• Development and review of HSE engineering design documents (HSE execution plans and procedures, philosophies, specifications, study reports).
• Coordination of and participation in HSE design reviews (HAZOP, LOPA, siting, human factors, escape and evacuation, etc.).
• Participate in design reviews including P&ID reviews and model reviews to ensure that client and project HSE requirements are met.
• Oversight and coordination of the design of passive and active fire protection systems, fire and gas detection systems, safety showers and other HSE required systems per regulations, industry standards, international guidelines, and client specifications. (21)
• Work as a part of the project team providing appropriate HSE deliverables, leadership, guidance, or information to other engineering and design disciplines (20)
• Development of scopes of work for Fluor third party HSE study contractors.
• Oversight of third party risk contractors to ensure deliverables are completed per schedule.
• Review of third-party risk contractor study reports (HAZID, Bow-tie Analysis, Process Hazard Analysis, fire/explosion risk assessments, Quantitative Risk Assessment, Cryogenic Spill Risk Assessment, Dropped Object Study, etc.) to ensure that they meet technical quality requirements and that recommendations are considered in the design.
• Convey proper information from 3rd party studies and interpreting and conveying the results to the project team for incorporation into the design.
• Development of Design Safety Case including ALARP demonstration, Safety Critical Element Performance Standards. Participation in reviews of safety case deliverables by the third-party independent verification bodies/classification societies.
• Lead and/or participate in process hazard analysis (PHA) reviews to ensure adequate safeguards and recommend additional safeguards as required to meet safety targets.
• Support engineering HSE management of change (MOC) process by screening post-PHA design changes and facilitating PHA sessions for design changes.
• Develop and maintain the HSE tracking register to ensure closure of action items from HSE reviews (HAZID, HAZOP, SIL/LOPA, risk assessments, etc.).
• Other duties as assigned
Job ID: 133086BR
City: Sugar Land
Country: United States
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by governing law.