Fluor Pipefitter-Welder in Lexington, Kentucky
Job Description Summary:
Performs pipefitter and welding duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Studies building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installations.
• Inspects structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of structure resulting from installation of pipe.
• Locates and marks position of pipe and pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors, using ruler, spirit level, and plumb bob.
• Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings, using hand tools and power tools.
• Cuts and threads pipe, using pipe cutters, cutting torch, and pipe-threading machine. Bends pipe to required angle by use of pipe-bending machine.
• Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals, such as iron, steel, brass, and lead, and nonmetals, such as glass, vitrified clay, and plastic, using hand tools and power tools.
• Joins pipes by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, welding, plastic solvent, and calks joints.
• Fills pipe system with water or air and reads pressure gauges to determine whether system is leaking.
• Join metallic pipe components and assemblies, using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment and techniques in the construction of buildings and structures.
• Welds components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
• Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly, and complete welds.
• Determine required equipment and welding method, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques to meet project specifications.
• Develops templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
• Cuts and grinds parts, using hand and power tools such as portable grinder, hand file, torch, and arc welding equipment.
• Must pass project specific weld test (see below).
• Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Proficiency in all types of welding: Stick (SMAW), TIG (GTAW), MIG (GMAW) & Flux Core
• 5 years experience fitting & welding schedule 10 thru 80 carbon steel, stainless steel & aluminum piping
• 5 years experience fitting food grade sanitary tubing and piping
• Ability to climb ladders, work from heights, and lift & carry at least 40 pounds
• Previous welding qualification or certification in Structural, Pipe, Plate or Restricted a plus
• Experience in a food or drug grade chemical environment a plus
• Candidates must pass a welding test with Fluor before hire in order to obtain necessary certifications. Test to pass includes the following:
o 2” coupon (pipe) – TIG welded at 6G position (carbon & stainless)
o 4" coupon (pipe) - TIG welded at 6G position (carbon & stainless – sch 80)
Job ID: 127216BR
We reserve the right to modify or revise the job descriptions in part or in its entirety. Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with governing law.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.